The dealnews Features Team produces the long-form articles that appear on «old link»; we aim to offer our deal-hunting readers further advice about savvy shopping, as well as provide insightful information about pertinent technology and electronics. As such, we attempt to put a "price" or "value" spin on features regarding these products.
We are looking to add to our stable of freelance writers in order to deepen our expertise and broaden our reach. In many cases, we are looking for a quick turnaround to respond to industry news, but we frequently have stories with a longer lead-time as well. We will continue to collect submissions from applicants and contact qualified writers as needed.
This is not a salaried position, and there is no guaranteed number of assigned features; however, we hope to build relationships with writers that we can rely on, which would likely result in periodic assignments. We pay a flat fee that ranges from $100 to $250 per article, and the sum depends on the type of feature that is assigned. The writer and editor will agree upon a fee before confirming the assignment.
- You MUST have a demonstrable background (or interest) in consumer technology. You should eagerly follow rumors, releases, and news about the industry so that you have personal knowledge to draw from when assessing a topic you've been assigned.
- You should feel comfortable contacting sources when necessary; writers with an established network of industry connections are preferred.
- You should have previous experience writing for online publications.
- Clean writing skills are an obvious requirement, but we also need someone who can (and is willing) to adapt to our voice and particular style.
- You must be able to learn how to approach a subject with our specific audience in mind. The most successful freelance writers we've had familiarize themselves with our existing content.
Please send a copy of your resume to email@example.com and links to three relevant examples of your published writing; if your clips are not related to the consumer technology world, please explain your familiarity with the subject matter in a cover letter.